Here Are 4 Good Reasons To Get A Little More Home Insurance This Year
I have insurance already you might be thinking…
Here is a reason why to look at getting a few home insurance quotes right now.
Listen closely to this advice as it could mean the difference between having your home restored to its orginal condition or having to settle for less in case of a disaster.
Market Value vs. Replacement Cost
Your house is only worth $140,000. So why should you insure it for twice that amount?
When most people buy a home they get an Atlanta home insurance policy based on what their house is worth on the market. It’s called “Fair Market Value”.
But what if you had a fire and had to completely rebuild your home? There is a good chance that with inflation, contractors would charge you a lot more than what you paid for your home -especially in today’s housing market.
Your home is the single most valuable asset you own. The biggest mistake home owners in Atlanta make is just getting the cheapest insurance they can find. You could save a lot more money in the long run by being savvy about home insurance policies and going with one that protects you the best.
There are basically three types of home owners insurance policies. Unless you have requested otherwise, you probably have the standard market value home owners insurance.
Types of Home Insurance:
Market Value (Actual Cash Value)
This type of home insurance pays for the cost to replace damaged property while factoring in depreciation amounts. This is the bare minimum and often the standard required when purchasing a house. This insurance policy is based on the fair market value of your home or, what a buyer would pay for your home in today’s market.
This home insurance policy will cover the cost of rebuilding your home, up to the amount that you choose with your insurance policy. So, if your policy is for $200,000, and you have a total loss, you’ll get $200,000 to rebuild and no more. If you have underestimated the repair and rebuilding costs -which is often the case, any remaining expenses will be on your dime.
Guaranteed or Extended Replacement Cost
This is the most coverage you can get for you home. To protect yourself against inflation and construction demand, you can buy a policy that pays more than the policy limits. An extended replacement cost policy will pay an extra 20 percent or more above the limits. This type of policy is the only one that will pay to completely rebuild your home in the case of a fire or other natural disaster.
If you live in the Atlanta suburbs like Lawrenceville or Duluth where land outside the perimeter is cheaper, the cost to rebuild your house could be higher than the cost to buy –especially if your house has pricey features, such as plaster walls, detailed woodworking and hardwood floors. Failure to cover your home at full replacement value can be a nasty shock in the case of a major loss.
Don’t wait for a major disaster to look into the details of your home insurance policy. Ask your Georgia insurance agent about your current coverage and how you can improve the protection of your home and possessions.
Whether you own a home or need renters insurance, these same principles apply. It’s only a couple of dollars more a month. Why not play it on the safe side and contact us now to get a free Georgia insurance Quote now? Its free, and it may be less than you think it is!
Proudly serving our clients with Home insurance through out Georgia Including: Duluth, Tucker, Lilburn, Lawrenceville, Buford, Norcross, Braselton, Gwinnett county, Decatur,Dekalb county, Stone Mountain, Lithonia, Conyers, Forrest Park, Jonesboro,Douglasville, Villa Rica, Austell, Hiram, Powder Springs, Lithia Springs, Smyrna, Marrietta, Vinings, Dunwoody, Roswell, Atlanta, and Cobb county Ga
Common home insurance questions:
- Why should i take a home inventory?
- Where can i get free home inventory software?
- How do I know that my personal things are protected with property insurance?
- How your iphone can protect your valuables?
- Am I covered for a tornado?
- How can you save on Homeowners by protecting your home against Burglary?
- Am I covered with flood insurance?
- What Does Your Standard Home Insurance Policy Cover?
- How do i get home insurance discounts?
- Will Home Insurance Pay For Sewer Back Up Clean Up?
- Will Home Insurance Protect Me From Termite Damage Repairs?
- Will my Homeowners policy Cover My Expensive Jewelry?
- What does Clark Howard Say About Home Insurance Policies?
- Why should insure for more than my homes worth?
- Is landscaping covered by my homeowners’ policy?
- What factors affect your Homeowners rates?
- How do I File a Homeowners Claim?
- Could a trampoline affect your home owners insurance?
- Moving insurance: Is it worth it?
- How Pools May Affect Your Home Insurance
- How to Prevent house fires