Being your trusted Atlanta Home Insurance Agency and your friend, we want to bse sure your holidays are merry and bright. December is certainly a magical time of year, but it’s also a time with increased safety hazards: lights, trees, candles, and holiday cooking are the most dangerous.
Protect your family and home- help keep your loved ones safe with these safety tips this holiday season.
- Never leave your stove unattended while cooking.
- Keep an all-purpose (one rated for grease and electrical fires) fire extinguisher in your kitchen near your stove. Don’t pour water on a grease fire. Instead, cover the pan with a lid and turn off the stove. If a fire occurs in the oven, close the oven door and turn off the oven.
- Don’t store anything flammable near stoves, ovens or other heating appliances.
- Do not wear loosely fitted clothing while cooking. Loose clothing is easy to catch fire.
- Make sure your appliances are clean and in great condition. Turn them off when you aren’t using them. No exposed or frayed wires protruding from your appliances.
- Don’t operate your microwave without any food inside.
- Make sure when you light candles that there is someone in the room. Never leave a candle unattended in any room in your home. Never leave your home while even one candle is still ignited.
- Use sturdy, candleholders that won’t tip or burn. Only burn candles on sturdy, uncluttered surfaces. Use caution if you have smaller pets that may knock over candles.
- Place candles away from windows or doorways or anywhere where drafts can affect the flame, bending it toward flammable surfaces.
- Be careful not to splatter hot wax when blowing out a candle. Using a snuffer is best. It also prolongs the life of your candles.
- Do not leave portable heater unattended.
- Make sure that your portable heater will automatically shut off if tipped over (again, pets).
- Keep pets, children, and little fingers away from portable heaters.
- Keep portable heaters at least 3 1/2 feet away from anything in the room, especially curtains and furniture.
- Always use a screen in front of your fireplace.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before you go to sleep or leave the house.
- Store potentially flammable items away from the fireplace.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected every year by a professional- especially if you actively use your fireplace.
- Water live trees, daily- make sure they don’t dry out.
- Be sure artificial trees are flame resistant. Most are, but check just in case.
- Be sure to inspect stringed lights and electrical decorations for deterioration. Make sure there are no frayed wires on your strings of lights or ornaments.
Also check out or post on fire pit safety while enjoying family time outdoors.
We want to do our best to help make sure your holiday season is the best it can be. By following these tips and just making sure that these common sense tactics are in place, yuo should be free to enjoy your holidays with your family! Lloyd Pro Group Insurance, your loyal Atlanta Home Insurance agency, representing Nationwide Insurance Atlanta, wishes you are yours the best holidays season yet.